You all know my love / hate relationship with trends, right? I’ve talked enough about the struggles of buying the right ones at the right prices and not letting the ever-changing fashion culture pressure me into purchasing what won’t work.
One thing that helps me know if I’ll love a trend is buying a low-budget version of the item first. If I find myself grabbing for that piece over and over again, it’s time to invest in its pricier counterpart. That way it’ll last.
Three trends this summer have caught my eye: the straw bag; the floral maxi dress; and the slide sandal. If you’re curious like I am, or if you’ve already fallen in love, I’ve rounded up a list of inexpensive and investment pieces for each trend. Ready to shop?
Trend: the straw bag—every designer and brand has jumped aboard this trend train. I’ve been slow to purchase one of these simply because it feels limiting. One of my go-to questions I ask before buying a trend is will it carry through several seasons? For me, it won’t. Because of that, I’m leaning towards grabbing an inexpensive version. Thankfully, Target, Forever21, H&M all have these bags for a steal.
- This straw circle bag from A New Day is only $27.99 and can be worn across the body or carried like a satchel.
- I love this fun, colorful tasseled straw tote from Forever21. And? It’s just $38.
- Embroidered, circular, and comes with a tassel? Yes, please! H&M kills it with this straw bag for only $24.99.
Trend: the floral maxi—nothing feels more like summer than a floral print. Throw it on a long, flowy dress and you’re ready for a day at the beach or a night on the boardwalk. I’m leaning hard towards an investment piece on this one. Florals, if in the right color scheme and pattern, can be worn well into fall and even winter. It’s all about what you pair them with. Sandals and dainty earrings in the summer; booties and a jean jacket in the fall.
- I love this one from J.Crew for $128. The simplicity of the shape makes for easy dressing; the tiered feature adds a bit of fun; and the pinks and reds, while fresh for summer, will pair nicely with an olive green jacket in the fall.
- I’m not only obsessed with the yellows of this dress from Free People (hello summer!), but the swingy shape as well. It’s as boho-chic as you get. And? Paired with a grey suede moto jacket, it’ll transition perfectly into cooler seasons. Only $108.
- Dress up this navy floral maxi for a summer wedding or keep it casual for an outdoor concert—either way, this dress for just $76 by Lulus is a gorgeous one to add to your wardrobe. Wear now with strappy heels or later with leather booties.
Trend: the slide sandal—this is one of the most flattering and versatile trends I’ve seen this season. Which means, splurging or budgeting on this item works either way. For me, sandals are my staple in the summer. If I’m wearing them everyday, then they’re worth the investment. But, since I like this style so much, buying two or three sandals will stretch my summer wardrobe even further. Which means, I’ll likely buy an inexpensive pair (or two) as well.
- I own these Old Navy sandals in brown and have already worn them too many times to count this summer. They go with everything and are actually comfortable for the price point ($15 on sale!)
- I’m eyeing these gorgeous slides from M. Gemi. Yes, they’re $198. But! These suede and leather sandals come in an assortment of bold colors and are hand made in Toscana, Italy. A classic staple that’ll last you (almost) a lifetime.
Decision: either (or both!)
Plumbid – a new and innovative way to market and sell your home!
Thanks for reading our post about How to shop trends this summer that’s right for you.
On another matter, we recently sold a private view home for that amount over the list price because of the Plumbid bidding process. And buyers were solid — we made sure they were fully qualified and informed about the property before they could bid. Check here, or call or text the deFazio’s for more information at 626-825-9955. And, if you are moving to Pasadena, we can help you. With more than 50 years of combined experience, we know the territory and can find the best property for you. Visit us at Around Town Pasadena for more about Pasadena restaurants and food, great real estate, art and culture, and shopping and fashion. We post new and exciting features for you four or five times a week.